Re: 7.0.3 dumps aren't accessible via JDBC in 7.1

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: rmager(at)vgkk(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.0.3 dumps aren't accessible via JDBC in 7.1
Date: 2001-04-20 11:12:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Quoting pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org:

> Rainer Mager (rmager(at)vgkk(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 1
>
> Short Description
> 7.0.3 dumps aren't accessible via JDBC in 7.1

I'd say this is not JDBC as JDBC doesn't deal with dumps, but...

> Long Description
> If the character '\255' exists in a 7.0.3 dump then JDBC barfs on
> reading this character in 7.1. Apparently this character is a dash
> character in unicode (not UTF-8), 0x00ad. The problem is that it is
> getting dumped (and restored) as a single byte and when JDBC reads it as
> 0xad it expects another byte after it (as according to the UTF-8 spec,
> anything over 0x7f must have another byte).

Hmmm, this sounds like either a backend issue, or something is misconfigured.
Have you got unicode support enabled in the backend?

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/