Synch Replication: Synchronization of files between Primary & Standby

From: "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>
To: "ext Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)" <harald(dot)kolb(at)nsn(dot)com>, "Czichy, Thoralf (NSN - FI/Helsinki)" <thoralf(dot)czichy(at)nsn(dot)com>
Subject: Synch Replication: Synchronization of files between Primary & Standby
Date: 2009-04-22 12:21:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Starting a new thread related to synchronization of the data files, WAL
etc.. between Primary and standby servers in Synchronous replication
patch.

Use case: Whenever the primary and standby are out of sync due to
network problems.

Existing handling is to prepare the standby by
1) Deleting the $PGDATA on standby
2) Make a fresh base backup of the primary and load this data to the
standby
3) Setup the necessary configurations (ex. recovery) and start the
standby server

In the earlier discussions, please check the link (point 2 related to
direct connection between primary and standby), i think we still need to
work to conclude on what will be done.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-02/msg01160.php

One issue to be addressed is also the usability aspect of the solution
for the mentioned use case.

For synchronization of files with direct connection, there were
suggestions to consider VLDB cases too. Do you already have some ideas
which is getting implemented? We can kick start the discussion so as to
conclude on the possible solution.

Regards,
Niranjan