Re: patch adding new regexp functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Mark Dilger <pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com>
Subject: Re: patch adding new regexp functions
Date: 2007-03-27 02:03:01
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
> Jeremy Drake wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> AFAIR, the reason there's no TextPGetDatum (and ditto for lots of other
>>> datatypes) is lack of obvious usefulness.

>> If you are asking why I have reason to convert text * to a Datum in cases
>> other than PG_RETURN_TEXT_P, it is used for calling text_substr functions
>> using DirectFunctionCallN.  BTW, this usage of text_substr using
>> PointerGetDatum was copied from the pre-existing textregexsubstr function.

> Is there a follup patch based on this discussion?

Not at the moment.  I suppose someone could run around and replace
PointerGetDatum by (exactly-equivalent) TextPGetDatum etc, but it seems
like mostly make-work.  I definitely don't want to spend time on such
a project for 8.3.

Or were you speaking to the question of whether to adjust the regexp
patch to conform more nearly to the coding practices found elsewhere?
I agree with that, but I thought there was already a submitted patch
for it.