Re: [HACKERS] Re: ORDBMS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: ORDBMS
Date: 2000-01-28 06:16:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> For a lot of this older stuff, there isn't even any documentation
>> (that I know of) on what it's *supposed* to do, let alone on how
>> thorough the original implementation was.

> I thought that the original berkeley doco covered this to some extent.

Where would I find that?

> Basicly I think you're supposed to be able to go...

> CREATE TABLE address (street TEXT, number TEXT, suburb TEXT, zip TEXT);
> CREATE TABLE person (name TEXT, address ADDRESS);

> SELECT name, address FROM person WHERE person.address.suburb = 'New
> York';

Hmm. This looks like a CREATE TABLE implicitly creates a datatype
that acts more or less like a C 'struct' declaration, ie, it's just a
collection of subfields. OK, a struct-making declaration is certainly
useful. What I don't understand yet is whether the contents of table
"address" have any connection to the data stored in table "person".
If not, why must I create a table in order to define a datatype? Seems
like a separate CREATE DATATYPE command would make more sense...