Re: Patch: psql \whoami option

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: psql \whoami option
Date: 2010-01-27 14:08:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
2010/1/27 David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>:

> On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:01 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> On a first note, it seems like the check for the parameter "dsn" isn't
>> "complete". Without testing it, it looks like it would be possible to
>> run "\whoami foobar", which should give an error.
>
> Yeah, I debated that; right now, it just ignores any output it doesn't know about and spits out the human-readable format.

yeah, that's not very forwards-compatible. Someone uses it in the
wrong way, and suddenly their stuff gets broken if we choose to modify
it in the future. If we say we're only going ot accept two options,
let's enforce that and show an error/help message if the user typos.

Guessing is not what we do :-) We leave that to other databases...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/