Re: Wanted: new project slogan

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wanted: new project slogan
Date: 2010-01-26 11:46:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

2010/1/26 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 1/25/10 12:22 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>>> <sigh>Might have been better to suggest this before we ordered a
>>> shedload of swag using the current tagline after discussion here :-(
>>
>> Hopefully you didn't order anything with "8.5" on it.
>
> No, we're not that dappy.
>
>> Besides, I didn't see the swag thread, unless it's "new mug design".
>
> It was. Following that thread we ordered lots of mugs and shirts.

Don't forget there is a lot of other stuff with that slogan on it.
Rollups, posters, etc - all the kind of re-usable conference stuff
that you don't replace every time.

You should probably count at least a couple of thousand dollars in
pure replacement costs (not counting work time of course).

But in general, it's usually claimed that's a small part of the cost
of replacing a logo or slogan. You might want to do some kind of
cost-analysis on what this is actually going to cost before pushing
something like that through.

(Oh, and when talking about other databases claiming to be more
advanced. If you're comparing with other OSS databases, mysql still
claims to be the most popular opensource database, and I don't see
sqlite complaining loudly about that - though I believe they have a
lot more installations. not to mention berkeleydb)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/