Re: pg_listener entries deleted under heavy NOTIFY load only on Windows

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Radu Ilie <rilie(at)wsi(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_listener entries deleted under heavy NOTIFY load only on Windows
Date: 2010-01-25 14:52:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday, January 25, 2010, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> On 23/01/2010 5:30 AM, Radu Ilie wrote:
>
> On a Windows server under heavy load of NOTIFY events, entries in
> pg_listener table for some events are deleted. It is like UNLISTEN was
> called.
>

> This has been reported on -general, then -bugs, now -hackers, and seems to just get ignored. The poster has done a fair bit of research and has documented the issue, and fix, in a fair bit of depth.
>
> I don't have the access rights to do anything about it. Is someone who does going to look at it, or will it remain a lurking bug?
>
> (If this has since made it into cvs without any ML activity, then sorry - but I'm worried it'll get missed again and want to make sure it doesn't.)
>

> well it is on the Open Items list for a while now:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.5_Open_Items so I won't be forgotten...

it's in my list. I've just been unable to reproduce it yet. But I'm on
it and will definitely get to it before the next update release. And
side th op had a patch that works in his environment and nobody else
ha reported it I didn't give it max priority.

I couldve done a better job of feedback. I think I posted the info in
a different thread that only linked to the original bug report, so it
wa probably missed because of that.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/