Re: Ticket 117: Explain Buffers

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ticket 117: Explain Buffers
Date: 2010-01-23 14:14:19
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2010/1/23 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>:
> Hi,
>
> This patch handles two new parameters for EXPLAIN: COSTS and BUFFERS.
> I'm not sure that we need to add support for format. I would like to
> have your opinion on this?

Not really. The whole idea of using EXPLAIN on the menu is to get the
graphical output, so I don't see where the user would care aobut the
format of the text behind it.

That said, we might want to consider switching to using one of the
machine readable formats for newer versions, and then just implement
parsing of these options there. In the end, that should lead to less
complicated code.. (mind you, I didn't even look at your code so I
don't know how complex it is :D)

While you're whacking around the explain code, one thing that has
always nagged me, is that ANALYZE is an option for EXPLAIN. IMO we
should have "Explain" and "Explain Analyze" as separate commands,
because they actually do different things. And then options for things
like verbose, costs, buffers etc. If we're going to change that ever,
now is probably the best time :-)

Thoughts?

--
Magnus Hagander