Re: IPv6 connection

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IPv6 connection
Date: 2010-01-12 09:36:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 07:00, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:01 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'm wondering why we try to resolve the hostname on pgAdmin.
>> libpq already does this. Can't we just push the string to libpq and let
>> it resolve the string address? it would be a more simple fix for our issue.
>
> If memory serves, it's required to get Kerberos to work properly.
> Magnus may recall more.

I think you have that one backwards. Kerberos *requires* the hostname,
it doesn't work if you just supply the IP address.

I have no idea why we do the resolving in pgAdmin, but Kerberos
certainly isn't the reason. Maybe it's some reasoning around being
able to control the error message if it fails?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/