Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2010-01-12 09:33:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 15:00, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org> wrote:
> (Many thanks to Dimitri for bringing this thread to my attention.)
>
> At 2010-01-11 10:46:10 +0100, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net wrote:
>>
>> As for AOX, my understanding is that it is no longer maintained, so
>> I'd be worried about choosing such a solution for a complex problem.
>
> I'll keep this short: Oryx, the company behind Archiveopteryx (aox), is
> no longer around, but the software is still maintained. The developers
> (myself included) are still interested in keeping it alive. It's been a
> while since the last release, but it'll be ready soon. If you're having
> any sort of problems with it, write to me, and I'll help you.

Hmm. So if this means that the system is actually something we can
rely on long-term for the parsing and importing of messages into the
database, it may be an interesting optino still, so we don't have to
write that part ourselves.

I just want to end up with a non-maintained system. I doubt we, as a
community, want to take on maintaining a message parser in C++. I'd be
much more inclined to end up having to maintain something written in
python or perl in that case, since they'd probably rely much on
external modules that a lot of others rely on --> somebody else would
help maintain large parts of it..

> (That said, we're not working on the web interface. It did work, in its
> limited fashion, but it's not feature complete; and I need to find some
> paying work, so it's not a priority. That, and some health problems, are
> also why I haven't been active on the pg lists for a while.)

As long as the db structure is easy enough to parse and generate stuff
from, this may actually be a feature, because it will make it easier
to integrate with our other website stuff. If it's very low level and
leaves too much to work, well, then it's the opposite of course :-)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/