Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network
Date: 2010-01-08 18:08:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 18:48, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> 2010/1/8 Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>:
>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 18:44, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>> The current set of active mirrors can always be found at
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors.xml, so you can build URLs on the
>>> mirror network using the protocol, host, port and path from the mirror
>>> list, and then the relative path for the file.
>>
>> Or you can hit it off the mirror redirector on the website, which will
>> then give you automatic download tracking.
>
> Right, but you need the mirror ID for that iirc. Maybe we should add
> that to the XML...

That, or implement that "send me to a random mirror" feature. Or
maybe the "send me to a random close mirror if available, or a random
global if not" feature. :-)

Either way, there's definitely room for some improvement there, but
let's figure out what the exact needs are first :-)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/