Re: garbage in psql -l

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: garbage in psql -l
Date: 2009-11-25 14:42:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 15:41, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> FWIW, this patch also *completely* breaks the default windows
>> installs, which will have the database in UTF-8 but there is *never*
>> any UTF-8 support on the console (only UTF-16).
>
> Hmm ... so how do we work with utf-8 data in the database?  That
> should be the same case AFAICS.

It breaks, yes :-), and you have to set the client encoding manually.

But it works in the simple case where your data is ASCII for example.
Which usually means it's fine for listing databases, or database
objects, or such things. But with the unicode line patch, it's
basically completely useless, not just partially annoying.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/