Re: Next patch for 8.5 support: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET STATISTICS DISTINCT

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Next patch for 8.5 support: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET STATISTICS DISTINCT
Date: 2009-11-24 10:34:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:57, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le mardi 24 novembre 2009 à 10:38:24, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:19, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>> > Yeah, it is. I've never actually tried an interactive rebase. I
>> > normally just 'git stash', then 'git svn rebase' and then 'git stash
>> > apply'. I'm still a relative git newbie though - there may be better
>> > ways to drive it.
>>
>> You really should check out the interactive rebase. It's awesome, once
>> you use it right.
>>
>> But as Guillaume says, don't try to rebase your first commit.
>>
>> Guillaume - you shouldn't have needed that, ever. Worst case, you
>> would've had to drop your local branch and create a new one. Or did
>> you try to do the rebase on the *svn* branch? You should never to it
>> on that one - only on your local branches.
>>

> Just on question on git, say I have a local branch with three commits. I want
> to push them on the shared branch (shared seems the best word to describe it,
> but I mean I want to commit onto the svn repository).
>
> If I do the "interactive rebase" step, and then "git svn dcommit", will the
> dcommit ask for my commit message? or will it use one of the commit message of
> my previous local commits?

dcommit only pushes existing commits, so it will not ask for a new one.

It will push each of your commits on your local branch as a separate
commit to the svn server, and use individual commit messages for each
one. This is why you want to do an interactive rebase - so you don't
end up pushing all your minor commits out automatically.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/