Re: Merchandising, merchandising.. on the postgresql.eu site

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Merchandising, merchandising.. on the postgresql.eu site
Date: 2009-11-12 14:43:49
Lists: pgeu-general

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:55, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, so we are stuck to their inventory? What about plush elephants?
>> What about a new mug design? What about shirts for the kids? ;-)
>>
>> We should at least be able to supply some items.
>
> From what I've seen, we either have all the stock provided for us, or
> none of it. So if we wanted to have someone else handle all the
> logistics etc for supplying T-shirts online *and* sell plushys, we'd
> need two shop fronts.

Do they have APIs so we could do a frontend and use them for just
parts of it? Or do they require the hwole thing to be there? I can
totally understand that they don't let us sell other things through
their site, but they might allow our site to use theirs or something?

> My view is that that is impractical, and that we should use a full
> service site for our online merchandise, and keep the special/custom
> stuff for sale at conferences etc. It's not perfect, but it seems like
> a good compromise to me.

+1.

We really *can't* deal with the logistics. There is no way in we have
the manpower to do that. And if we did, it can be better spent on
something else.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/