Re: Large fixed-width text

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large fixed-width text
Date: 2009-09-28 09:28:26
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 07:33, Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net> wrote:
> Dave Page napsal(a):
>
> On 9/27/09, Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net> wrote:
>

> Dave Page napsal(a):
>

> Anyway those #txtArchives pre and #txtArchives tt do not affect
> documentation but they indeed seem to be plain wrong, they are actually
> only
> used by Opera (and maybe Chrome , I don't have that browser) and the text
> looks huge there. In FF and Safari they are overwritten by
>
> #pgContainer code, #pgContainer pre, #pgContainer tt {
> font-size: 1.2em;
> }
>
> in geckofixes.css (yes it loads for Safari too on my machine and it's a
> good
> thing) and in IE they're overwritten by
>
> * html #txtArchives pre { font-size: 100%; }
>
> in iefixes.css.
>

> txtArchives is used by archives.postgresql.org, not the docs.
>

> Cite from the first sentence: *Anyway those #txtArchives pre and
> #txtArchives tt do not affect
> documentation*
>

> Yes, i did read what you wrote. I was pointing out what they do affect.
>

> Oh, ok, I know they affect mail body in archives and all I said is true -
> they are overwritten by other rules in most browsers and the text is huge in
> browsers where they're not overwritten. I think better default would be
> 120%, it may still look big somewhere but not as big as it does now and it
> compensates for that monospace vs normal font default size.

Just to take this off on a slight tangent... You seem pretty
well-versed in CSS, right? ;) Any chance we can convince you to try to
do some cleanup work on our CSS, structuring it nicer and also getting
some comments in there so us mere mortals can understand it? That
would be a *very* welcome piece of help!

If you are, please contact me off-list before you start actually
working, I have some partial pieces of work you'll be interested in
:-)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/