Re: Savepoints in PgAdmin

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, DUPREZ Cédric <cedric(dot)duprez(at)ifn(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Savepoints in PgAdmin
Date: 2009-09-03 11:57:49
Lists: pgadmin-support
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:50, Guillaume Lelarge<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le mardi 1 septembre 2009 à 12:44:08, Dave Page a écrit :
>> 2009/8/31 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>:
>> > Here is a patch to add this feature. It adds a new setting ("Disable Auto
>> > ROOLBACK") in the Query tag of the Options Dialog. This is of course for
>> > 1.11.
>> >
>> > Comments?
>>
>> ROLLBACK I hope :-)
>>

> Yes :)

heh.

>> Looks good - my only comment is whether the option should be to
>> disable or enable it. Enable seems cleaner, but of course, disable
>> makes sense because it's disabling the current behaviour.
>>

> Don't know either. My first version of this patch was Enable. But I changed
> this to Disable because it was easier this way to write the handling of the
> option and to keep the current behavior.
>
>> Magnus - what do you think?
>
> Yes, any comments?

Good question. In general we shouldn't change the default behavior in
a backpatch, but I think the use-case for the current behavior is
pretty limited.

AIUI, nothing at all changes for single-statement queries, right? It
would only affect those that explicitly open a transaction. In which
case I think it's a reasonable default to behave the same way as psql,
which means change the default for pgadmin.

Specifically on the patch I don't like an option named "disabled auto
rollback". Negations in options suck. It shuold be "Enable auto
rollback", and then whatever the default is can be argued. I'd also
find it very useful if this was available as a checkbox on the query
menu, not just in the options dialog. Thoughts?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/