Re: BUG #5007: could not reattach to shared memory

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Regina <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5007: could not reattach to shared memory
Date: 2009-08-25 06:17:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Tuesday, August 25, 2009, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 05:44 +0000, Regina wrote:
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>> Bug reference:      5007
>> Logged by:          Regina
>> Email address:      lr(at)pcorp(dot)us
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.6
>> Operating system:   Windows 2008 Server Standard
>> Details:
>> One of our clients is getting the following error in their PostgreSQL 8.3.6
>> logs in their http://ASP.NET application.  This only happens if their application
>> runs a long query (which they dump out to disk and disk size (ESRI
>> shapefiles) is generally above 70 mb or more) when this fails.
>> The error is below:
>> FATAL:  could not reattach to shared memory (key=232, addr=01DF0000): 487
>> %t WARNING:  worker took too long to start; cancelled
> Search the -general mailing list archives for "reattach to shared
> memory". The issue has been around for a while but until recently nobody
> could reproduce it well enough to isolate it and test possible fixed.
> You'll see some recent discussion and a proposed patch.
> Try upgrading to the latest version in the 8.3 series. If you still see
> the problem please follow up here, or try the patch for the issuye
> proposed on the pgsql-general list.

The probable fix is not in a released version - it will be in the next
one. Please try to upgrade to the latest and then replace postgres.exe
with the one from ad let us know if it works
in your situation.

>> In these cases their .NET app returns this error
>> Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown
> That's probably a bug in their application caused by failure to properly
> handle a connection problem.

Yes, or possibly npgsql having the bug, though I haven't heard of it
there. The stacktrace should probably tell you where - if not, a
memory dump with the debugger.

 Magnus Hagander