Re: [HACKERS] Another bug in pg_operator.h

From: dg(at)informix(dot)com (David Gould)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: dg(at)informix(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Another bug in pg_operator.h
Date: 1998-10-29 07:15:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> dg(at)informix(dot)com (David Gould) writes:
> > Also, it lets the planner generate
> > better plans. If there is a negator or commutator it can use it
> > instead of generating extra steps.
>
> Well, I did *not* go looking for links that should be there and weren't
> (except in the very special case that the reverse link existed). I
> just tried to sanity-check the existing links.
>
> I agree that it would be nice to look for missing links that should
> be added ... but that is a performance enhancement, not a bug fix,
> so I am not eager to do it this close to release. We should do
> another pass over this table after 6.4 is out the door.
>
> (Another reason I didn't try to do that is that I've got no good
> idea how to find missing links, short of brain-numbingly tedious
> hand examination. Can you suggest any automated way of finding
> missing links, or at least finding likely things to look at?)
>
> regards, tom lane

Well, I have to admit, I did the brain-numbingly tedious hand examination.
But, mostly it is straight forward. If you have op 'lt' for type foo as
function foolt, then it probably has negetor 'ge' as function 'fooge'.

-dg

David Gould dg(at)informix(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
- If simplicity worked, the world would be overrun with insects. -