Re: [HACKERS] postgres init script things solved

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: cbalciza(at)mail(dot)geocities(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postgres init script things solved
Date: 1998-04-28 06:39:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> tchs
> "Stevers!"
> >OK, but _I_ don't run bash. So someone else is now maintaining this
> >file? Why didn't we keep both forms in the file, with one commented out?
> >What are we trying to accomplish here??
> About bash, it's the usual shell for regular users. I guess the start/stop
> script was meant for users who don't know/cannot write their own.

Perhaps we should write scripts for just plain old 'sh'. This is available
everywhere (sort of even on SCO).

If not that, bash might be a better choice than tcsh as it is perhaps more
common (we even run it on all our Solaris machines where I work).

-dg

David Gould dg(at)illustra(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
"(Windows NT) version 5.0 will build on a proven system architecture
and incorporate tens of thousands of bug fixes from version 4.0."
-- <http://www.microsoft.com/y2k.asp?A=7&B=5>