char types gone.

From: darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com (Darren King)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: char types gone.
Date: 1998-03-21 00:45:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Have managed to delete char2,4,8 and 16. The char16 was tricky
since it was still one of the builtins. Removed fine everywhere
but the bootstrap code. Had to leave a dummy entry in the Procid
array so all of the types after char16 would be indexed correctly.
Could remove this dummy by moving types 21-30 down one, but that
would entail renumbering the catalog. With that in mind, I can
live with a filler entry in an array. Heaven knows there are bigger
and badder hacks elsewhere in the code dying to be discovered. :)

Three points now...regression tests, docs and interfaces.

1. Regression tests make very extensive use of char16. Seems to
me that these should be changed to a name. Same for tutorial and
any other example references in the code. Seem ok?

2. I'll take my best shot at the docs.

3. Also take a look/see at the interfaces that reference the char16.
Perhaps would be better for me to contact the maintainers of those
interfaces as they would know what to do better than I.

Once I do one and two, I'll submit the patch.

darrenk