Re: [HACKERS] Buffer overuns with the Electric fence debugging library

From: darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com (Darren King)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Buffer overuns with the Electric fence debugging library
Date: 1998-03-18 15:39:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The errors are all found in the DataFill function called from
> heap_from_tuple.

Where specifically in DataFill?

> Do you guys feel comfortable with a database which has reproducible
> buffer overuns?
>
> I think it would be great is somebody who has more experience with
> postgresql than I were to look at this.

This might be by design.  Check out include/access/htup.h and look at
how the tuple is defined.  Basically, there is a struct with the
necessary header fields that is used to cast an area of memory that
has been [p]alloc'd.  See heap_addheader as an example...

Note that this technique has been declared as "Bad" by the C standards
committee, but it works and there are other things more broken.

darrenk

Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] MySQL benchmark page