Re: [HACKERS] RE: [QUESTIONS] The Complete and Ccomprehensive list of Newbie qu

From: ocie(at)paracel(dot)com
To: djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com (Jackson, DeJuan)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-questions(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RE: [QUESTIONS] The Complete and Ccomprehensive list of Newbie qu
Date: 1998-03-17 01:58:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jackson, DeJuan wrote:

> Is this possible?  Or is it already being done?
>
> <a lot snipped>
> <snip>
> > I don't know if tying functions to classes has been added
> > to the TO-DO list.  You may want to post to the hacker list and
> > suggest
> > it.
> >
> Access to the function would then be gained by calling them through the
> class. (i.e. select EMP.totalPeople();, or update CORPEMP set
> CORPEMP.totals = DIVEMP.totalPeople();)
> Just an OO thought.  (*ahhhh* It's that concurrency/data-hiding/coupling
> thing again.)
> Then one could disallow select/update on a table but all execute on
> specific functions.  I do realize that this can be accomplished through
> triggers, but this has other potentials...

Looks sort of like our procedural language, except that instead of
having a "pool" of functions, functions can be "member functions" of a
class.  In order to do this "all the way", it seems like we will need
all instances to appear in their parent classes -- Select
people.average_age() should hit all instances of people, even those
that have been subclassed into teachers, police, lawyers, etc.

Ocie Mitchell