Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 occasionally slow down

From: "Ho Fat Tsang" <namiwf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 occasionally slow down
Date: 2007-07-03 17:14:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

2007/6/29, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>:

> Ho Fat Tsang wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > I've tested again according your suggestion. I noticed that for each
> > time the pgsql slow down, there is a short period a process called
> > "pdflush"
> > eating up lot of I/O. I've goolgled and know it is a process for writing
> > dirty pages back to the disk by the Linux kernel. I will have further
> > investigation on this process with my limited knowledge on Linux kernel.
>
> Well, pdflush is responsible for flushing dirty pages to disk on behalf
> of all processes.
>
> If it's doing it every 3 minutes while checkpoints are happening every
> 30 seconds then I don't see how it's PG that's responsible.
>
> There are three possibilities:
> 1. PG isn't actually checkpointing every 30 seconds.
> 2. There is a burst of query activity every 3 minutes that causes a lot
> of writing.
> 3. Some other process is responsible.

Exactly ! you are right, finally i have found that the root cause for this
is the application that use PG. There is memory leak using MappedByteBuffer
(writing in java), it leads high I/O loading and finally reaches the ratio
that pdflush is being kicked start in the kernel.

Thank you for helping a lot in digging out this issue ! learn much for you
guys !