Re: AW: Proposal: More flexible backup/restore via pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "'Philip Warner'" <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Proposal: More flexible backup/restore via pg_dump
Date: 2000-06-27 14:48:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> pipes can:
> compress, split output, write to storage managers, stripe output,

Right, the thing we *really* want is to preserve the fact that pg_dump
can write its output to a pipeline ... and that a restore can read from
one. If you can improve performance when you find you do have a
seekable source/destination file, fine, but the utilities must NOT
require it.

> I guess we would want two formats, one for pipe, and one for a standard
> directory.

At the risk of becoming tiresome, "tar" format is eminently pipeable...