Mapping a database completly into Memory

From: Daniel Migowski <postgresql(at)Mig-O(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Mapping a database completly into Memory
Date: 2003-07-27 08:49:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hallo pgsql-performance,

I just wondered if there is a possibility to map my database running
on a linux system completly into memory and to only use disk
accesses for writes.

I got a nice machine around with 2 gigs of ram, and my database at
the moment uses about 30MB on the disks.

Or does Postgresql do this automtatically, with some cache adjusting
parameters, and after doing a select * from <everything> on my
database?

Thank you and ciao,
Mig-O