pg_dump issue

From: "mcelroy, tim" <tim(dot)mcelroy(at)bostonstock(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump issue
Date: 2006-05-30 14:31:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Good morning,

I have identical postgres installations running on identical machines. Dual
Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 870 , 16GB RAM, Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-20 and
120GB worth of disk space on two drives.

Recently, I have noticed that my nightly backups take longer on one machine
than on the other. I back up five (5) databases totaling 8.6GB in size. On
Prod001 the backups take app. 7 minutes, on Prod002 the backups take app. 26
minutes! Quite a discrepancy. I checked myself than checked with our
Engineering staff and have been assured that the machines are identical
hardware wise, CPU, disk, etc.

Question; has anyone run into a similar issue? Here is the command I use
for the nightly backup on both machines:

pg_dump -F c -f $DB.backup.$DATE $DB

Kind of scratching my head on this one....

Thank you,
Tim McElroy