Where is locking done?

From: "Lawrence M(dot) Kagan" <larry(at)alliedinfosystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Where is locking done?
Date: 2001-02-22 10:43:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Here's my dillema:

We are currently building a site with multiple machines to run our website
and client sites as well.  I would like to run the postgres binary on 2
machines concurrently to assist in load balancing.  $PGDATA will be kept on
a RAID 1+0.    I need to know where postgres does it's row & table locking.
 If it's done in memory, I've got some problems!  If it's done at or near
the $PGDATA directory (which sounds like bad performance decision) that
would be piece of cake.    Any advice or ideas on this issue would be
GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Lawrence M. Kagan
Allied Infosystems, Inc.
E-mail:    larry(at)alliedinfosystems(dot)com
Phone:     (954) 647-4600
Toll-free: (877) WEB-5888