Re: stats collector suddenly causing lots of IO

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Chris <lists(at)deksai(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stats collector suddenly causing lots of IO
Date: 2010-04-16 15:23:52
Lists: pgsql-performance
Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm not sure whether this is related to the stats collector problems
> on this machine, but I noticed alarming table bloat in the catalog
> tables pg_attribute, pg_attrdef, pg_depend, and pg_type.

Hmm.  That makes me wonder if autovacuum is functioning properly at all.
What does pg_stat_all_tables show for the last vacuum and analyze times
of those tables?  Try something like

select relname,n_live_tup,n_dead_tup,last_vacuum,last_autovacuum,last_analyze,last_autoanalyze from pg_stat_all_tables where schemaname = 'pg_catalog' order by 1;