Re: [INTERFACES] libpq problem (really libpq feature request)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan davis" <haj(at)idianet(dot)net>
Cc: "Tim Allen" <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] libpq problem (really libpq feature request)
Date: 1999-07-28 14:14:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Jonathan davis" <haj(at)idianet(dot)net> writes:
> the postgresql client is running under win98 and the server under FreeBSD3.1
> when I'm trying to connect to the server and the server is not running, the
> error message is:
> connectDB() -- socket() failed:
> errno=0
> No error
> and when the password is incorrect, i have the same error
> it is no way to difference the errors !!!

That's because they are the same error --- if the socket() call is
failing then the client is not getting as far as attempting to contact
the server, let alone checking the password. I do not know why you
are not getting a useful errno value; probably another deficiency of
the Windoze socket code :-(. But I'd suggest looking at whether
TCP support is turned on, whether there is a problem linking the socket
support library into the application, etc. Any Win experts here with
an idea what could make socket() fail?

regards, tom lane