Creating Functions & Triggers

From: Kevin Lohka <klohka(at)aboutfacedata(dot)ab(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Creating Functions & Triggers
Date: 2004-03-20 22:33:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello everyone, I'm new to creating functions & triggers on postgresql
and am having trouble creating a trigger to update a record with the
modification date and the current user.

My code is below, but doesn't work. It hangs psql when I attempt to
modify the record. The function and trigger are created successfully.

CREATE FUNCTION email_mod_date() RETURNS OPAQUE AS '
BEGIN
UPDATE email SET m_date = current_date, m_by_user =
current_user
WHERE id = NEW.id;

RETURN NULL;
END;