Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?

From: Marc Slemko <identd(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "richard_d_levine(at)raytheon(dot)com" <richard_d_levine(at)raytheon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?
Date: 2004-10-15 18:15:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:54:44 -0500, richard_d_levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
<richard_d_levine(at)raytheon(dot)com> wrote:
> My basic question to the community is "is PostgreSQL approximately as fast
> as Oracle?"
>
> I don't want benchmarks, they're BS. I want a gut feel from this community
> because I know many of you are in mixed shops that run both products, or
> have had experience with both.

That all depends on exactly what your application needs to do.

There are many more features that Oracle has and postgres doesn't than
vice versa. If you need to do something with your data that isn't
possible to do as efficiently without one of those features, then yes
postgresql can be much slower. If you don't need any such features,
it can be ballpark, until you start getting into fairly hefty
hardware.