Re: ODBC and crypted passwords

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Henk van Lingen <henkvl(at)cs(dot)uu(dot)nl>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC and crypted passwords
Date: 2000-04-09 17:31:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:

>> I imagine the problem is that he doesn't want to depend on the 'crypt'
>> library, which is standard on Unixen but not (AFAIK) on Windows.
>> Otherwise it'd be easy to transpose libpq's code into the odbc driver.
>> (OTOH, I believe there are ports of libpq for Windows, so
>> maybe crypt() is available there? Anyone know?)

> Actually, the crypt()ed authentication is not supported on libpq for Win32.
> I meant to do this, but I had completely forgotten...

Hmm. Can we find a freely-distributable version of libcrypt anywhere?

(Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure that crypt()
implements exactly the same transformation on every Unix platform.
It may be that you have to have a version of crypt() that matches the
one on your server's platform. That would be a pain in the neck ...
but if we did find an open-source libcrypt, maybe we could standardize
on using it in preference to vendor crypts...)