Re: Postgres not using indexes

From: Lawrence Cohan <LCohan(at)web(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres not using indexes
Date: 2011-03-30 19:05:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I think you are right (my bad) and please see the results below plus a little bit more info about the environment and sorry I missed that before. I've been told the server was tuned to the best for what we need and looks like we will need to change at least the two values below and maybe play with work_mem to see if it solves our issues.
The only issue is that we are running a 24/7 web site against the db and if we need to restart PG for the changes to take place we will need to wait for a downtime before any changes can be made.

'shared_buffers';'500MB' - shared_buffers should be 10% to 25% of available RAM -> change it to 2GB
'effective_cache_size';'2GB' - effective_cache_size should be 75% of available RAM -> change it to 10GB
'work_mem';'1MB' - increase it to 8MB, 32MB, 256MB, 1GB and check if better results.

PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48), 64-bit
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @ 2.33GHz
4 x 4GB = 16GB RAM

--query results below:
'version';'PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48), 64-bit'
'archive_command';'cp %p /pglog/wal_export/%f'
'archive_mode';'on'
'archive_timeout';'3min'
'autovacuum_analyze_threshold';'1000'
'autovacuum_vacuum_threshold';'1000'