Re: Unicode combining characters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, phede-ml(at)islande(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode combining characters
Date: 2001-10-02 17:48:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> If no one can find a case where multibyte is slower, I think we should
> enable it by default.  Comments?

Well, he just did point out such a case:

>>              no MB		with MB
>> LIKE  	0.09 msec	0.08 msec
>> REGEX	0.09 msec	0.10 msec

But I agree with your conclusion.  If the worst penalty we can find is
that a regex comparison operator is 10% slower, we may as well turn it
on by default.  Most people will never notice the difference, and anyone
who really cares can always turn it off again.