BeOS and IPC - try 999

From: "David Reid" <david(at)jetnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Adam Val-Jean Haberlach" <adam(at)be(dot)com>
Subject: BeOS and IPC - try 999
Date: 2000-06-14 13:34:00
Lists: pgsql-patches
OK, so this isn't try 999 but it feels like it!

One of the arguments that Tom came up with for not liking the patches
was that

(paraphrasing)
"the patches make maintainenace harder and don't add anything that could
help other non-unix platforms"

OK, agreed (up to a point).  So, you want easier maintenance?  The ONLY
way that I can think of doing it is to have the platform specific IPC
stuff in it's own file, hence this patch.  The core functions, the ones
that have no platform specific code in them, still live in ipc.c but all
the functions that are touched by platform code live in either
ipc_unix.c or ipc_beos.c.  Using this there's no reason why other
platforms can't do the same.  Even native windows functions could be
written using the split and the code should be easily maintainable by
the people for each platform.

It's simple and the code very readable.  The setup could be used to help
other non-unix platforms.  I'm not sure what else I can do if this isn't
OK?!

The attached has new files for the ipc code with a beos and unix
specific file.  I'll add a note of caution that while this all works on
BeOS I've not tested it on a unix platform.

david

"I never get involved in my own life, it's way
too complicated."

pgsql-patches by date