Re: SIGUSR1 pingpong between master na autovacum launcher causes crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SIGUSR1 pingpong between master na autovacum launcher causes crash
Date: 2009-08-21 20:18:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If sigusr1_handler needs rewriting, don't all the other sighandler as
> well?

It does not, and neither do they. I'm not sure what happened here but
it wasn't the fault of the postmaster's organization of signal handlers.

It does seem that we ought to change things so that there's a bit more
delay before trying to re-launch a failed autovac worker, though.
Whatever caused this was effectively turning the autovac logic into
a fork-bomb engine. I'm not thinking of just postponing the relaunch
into the main loop, but ensuring at least a few hundred msec delay before
we try again.