Re: pg 7.4.x - pg_restore impossibly slow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "patrick keshishian" <pkeshish(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg 7.4.x - pg_restore impossibly slow
Date: 2006-04-13 04:46:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

"patrick keshishian" <pkeshish(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> My dev box is much slower hardware than the customer's
> server. Even with that difference I expected to be able to
> pg_restore the database within one day. But no.

Seems a bit odd. Can you narrow down more closely which step of the
restore is taking the time? (Try enabling log_statements.)

One thought is that kicking up work_mem and vacuum_mem is likely to
help for some steps (esp. CREATE INDEX and foreign-key checking).
And be sure you've done the usual tuning for write-intensive activity,
such as bumping up checkpoint_segments. Turning off fsync wouldn't
be a bad idea either.