Re: refactoring comment.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: refactoring comment.c
Date: 2010-08-28 01:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> What's a bit odd about this is that I do get warnings for this kind of
> thing in general, which get turned into errors since I compile with
> -Werror; and in fact the version of the patch that I committed has no
> fewer than four places where there is a comment that says "placate
> compiler".  But for some reason the compiler I used to develop this
> patch (gcc-4.2.1 i686-apple-darwin10) did not complain about this
> case, for reasons that are not quite clear to me.

gcc has been able to detect possibly-uninitialized scalar variables
for many years, but only fairly-recent versions seem to apply the
same type of logic to fields of local structs.  I've also noticed
that sometimes it can only spot the potential problem after inlining
a function that sets the local variable, and so a more recent version
and/or a more aggressive -O setting can also affect whether you get
a warning.  In short: this warning is a lot more context sensitive
than you might guess.