Re: [INTERFACES] Postmaster getting veeeery big: SUBSTR bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: eg(at)tzv(dot)fal(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Postmaster getting veeeery big: SUBSTR bug
Date: 1999-05-19 20:29:04
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Eildert Groeneveld <eg(at)tzv(dot)fal(dot)de> writes:
> Herouth was right in stating: "memory used for substr function" has to be
> the real cause of the problem because any substr select exhibits this
> behaviour:
> select substr(tets,1,2) from raw_field;
> This one starts the postmaster at around 3MB and finishes at 40.
> Unfortunately, I have no idea about C, can someone identify the problem
> and come up with a patch?

The problem is well known and is on the TO-DO list: memory consumed
while evaluating expressions is not reclaimed until end of statement.
It's by no means specific to substr().

Unfortunately, fixing it is not a small amount of work (else it'd have
been done already). I'm hoping to see it fixed in 6.6.

regards, tom lane