Re: New PostgreSQL Tool available : pg_autotune

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New PostgreSQL Tool available : pg_autotune
Date: 2002-09-22 15:30:29
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Have been putting together a tool called "pg_autotune" for automatically
> tuning a PostgreSQL database (either local or remote).  It does this by
> repetitively benchmarking PostgreSQL (using Tatsuo's pgbench code) with
> different buffer settings, then fine tuning those settings depending on
> the results returned.

You should have chosen a better foundation.  pg_bench is notorious for
producing results that are (a) nonrepeatable and (b) not relevant to
a wide variety of situations.  All it really tells you about is the
efficiency of a large number of updates to a small number of rows.

I'd take the results with a large grain of salt.