pg_hba.conf, md5 and .pgpass

From: "Mick McElarney" <Mick(dot)McElarney(at)maxsp(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_hba.conf, md5 and .pgpass
Date: 2007-02-01 03:36:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

Here is my pg_hba.conf file configuration:

What should I change so that it reads my /home/postgres/.pgpass file
when I execute a psql -Upostgres databasename?

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

local all all md5

# IPv4 local connections:

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

host all all 111.222.333.0/24 md5

# IPv6 local connections:

host all all ::1/128 md5

/home/postgres/.pgpass looks like this:

127.0.0.1:*:*:postgres:password

192.168.1.218:*:*:postgres:password

192.168.1.221:*:*:postgres:password

I have executed an alter user postgres with encrypted password
'password';

Thanks, Mick.