Re: v3 from the ground up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Olson <bql(at)bolson(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, davec(at)fastcrypt(dot)com
Subject: Re: v3 from the ground up
Date: 2004-05-01 02:43:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Brian Olson <bql(at)bolson(dot)org> writes:
> I've been looking at the PostgreSQL docs on the server-client protocol,
> and it doesn't specify the format of binary parameters. Where would
> that be documented?

Presently you have to look at the sources of the backend's send and recv
functions for each datatype. (If anyone wants to do the legwork to
transpose that information into an SGML chapter, be my guest...)

> Are the type oid-s guaranteed to be constant between versions?

Nothing's really guaranteed, but in practice the built-in type OIDs do
not change --- for instance type text has had OID 25 since Berkeley days.
You cannot however assume anything about types that are not built-in
(which means predefined in src/include/catalog/pg_type.h).