Re: [HACKERS] allowed user/db variables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Aizaz Ahmed <aahmed(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] allowed user/db variables
Date: 2003-07-28 14:57:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Aizaz Ahmed <aahmed(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> looks like there's some duplication between this array and the
> static const char *const GucContext_names[] array in
> src/backend/utils/misc/help_config.c
> Is there some way we could have them both use the same array?

Good idea. Please send a patch that exports the guc.c array for use in
the other file. I'd lean towards the lower-cased spellings, though I'm
not strong about it. (I'd also not use a dash in "super-user".)

> Also, as a side note, I don't think Tom is a big fan of using comments
> to indicate what needs to be kept in sync with what, if I can take the
> liberty to quote him the last time a situation like this arose:

I still stand by that opinion. We've seen a couple failures now with
respect to these arrays, but I think that comes from having people
independently patching the same code with too long delay between patch
submission and application. The comment wouldn't have prevented the
error, because patch(1) can't read comments.