Re: DELETE ... USING

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DELETE ... USING
Date: 2005-04-05 05:02:32
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
> Well, my previous message described why I'm not sure that this line of
> reasoning is correct. I think the only really proper configuration is
> add_missing_from=false and an explicit USING/FROM list. Just about the
> only reason to enable add_missing_from would be for compatibility with
> previous releases of PostgreSQL -- and that "compatible" behavior is not
> to issue a warning for UPDATE and DELETE in this situation.

Hmm.  There's some merit in that position, but consider this: we are
encouraging people rather strongly to move to the add_missing_from=false
behavior.  So add_missing_from=true could be seen as a testing situation
in which you'd like to know which of your queries have a problem, while
not actually causing your app to fail.  Strict backwards compatibility
won't produce the warning but also won't help you find what will break.