Re: "[" is a nuisance...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael J(dot) Conroy" <m_j_conroy(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "[" is a nuisance...
Date: 2004-02-01 00:08:08
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Michael J. Conroy" <m_j_conroy(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I'm using the PostreSQL30 ODBC driver to hook a Windows app to a 7.4.1
> PostreSQL DB.  Might be the driver, or it might be the app itself (I don't
> have access to the app), but I'm getting this coming across the wire:

> SELECT * FROM [PARTID];

IIRC there is some database (likely Microsoft but I don't recall for
sure) that uses this syntax to quote identifiers --- that is, the
SQL-standard spelling of this query would be

  SELECT * FROM "PARTID";

> Is there any way for postmaster to filter this out?  If not, is there anyway
> for the ODBC driver to filter this out (in the event the driver itself isn't
> actually generating this) short of ripping open the source?

The PG ODBC driver certainly isn't generating it.  I dunno if there is
any existing code in that driver to do such a conversion --- try asking
on the pgsql-odbc list.