Re: database permissions:how to create read only user for db

From: lexx(at)gorodok(dot)net
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database permissions:how to create read only user for db
Date: 2004-12-26 07:41:22
Lists: pgsql-admin
>> Hello all.
>>
>> Please help,
>> are there any way to set some (ex. deny creating tables) privileges on database (not for databases objects)?
>>
>> I want crant full access to one user (let say "adminuser" for database "testdb") and make some others (read only) users,
>> who can read only (do SELECT from "testdb" tables), but not CREATE tables or some database objects.
>>
>> As I know CRANT command allows only set privileges for database objects but not for databases.

BWI> You can write scripts that will set access for all existing objects in
BWI> a database. Objects created in the future will not automatically get the
BWI> same access rights. It mnay be possible to simplify granting rights by
BWI> using 'public' to give select access, if all users get at least select access.

I see what you mean, but I want set access rights to database, not
for database objects, I want to deny some users to create tables in
database, but permit read values of existing tables.
How to permit various access to tables I know, it's simlpy with `GRANT
[..] ON TABLE ..', but I don't know how to deny creating new tables,
and
I think it's not possible with PostgreSQL, because as I can
understand, GRANT  don't support such ability for DATABASE.
Am I right?

will be very fine if I'm mistaken..

THanks.
/lexx/