Re: uppercase = lowercase

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Donald Fraser <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>, "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: uppercase = lowercase
Date: 2003-02-19 07:51:33
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-advocacy

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> We get this question a lot, usually from folks converting from mysql.
> Do any of the core folks think this is worth adding to contrib? Or
> perhaps a project on gborg would be more appropriate?

In the long run, the correct SQL-spec-compliant solution is selectable
collation for each column, and then you could specify a case-insensitive
collation for the columns you want to act this way. But I don't really
foresee that happening in the near future :-(. In the meantime, a
specialized datatype seems like an okay hack.

I'd not favor putting it into the core distribution, because that would
amount to a commitment to support it indefinitely, which I don't want
to make. contrib would be iffy for the same reason --- contrib tends
to have a subtext of "this might be mainstream someday, if it gets
polished up". gborg, no problem.

But that's just my $0.02. Comments anyone?