RE: [SQL] Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC and getting just assigned serial number

From: Michael J Davis <michael(dot)j(dot)davis(at)tvguide(dot)com>
To: "'Herouth Maoz'" <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>, "Hutton, Rob" <HuttonR(at)plymart(dot)com>, steinbeck(at)ice(dot)mpg(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [SQL] Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC and getting just assigned serial number
Date: 1999-09-22 17:22:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

This issue has come up before and after contemplating all the comments
surrounding the currval/nextval issue I still feel that getting the nextval
from a sequence before the insert statement is the best and most universal
approach. The nextval should work in any database environment. Did Herouth
actually create the code surrounding how currval works? Is this how other
databases deal with their equivalent of currval? It would important for me
to know whether this technique is valid for Postgres or all databases (esp
Oracle and SQL Server). Given the details of the explanation below and how
it interacts with multiple simultaneous users, I would like to know how
intimate Herouth is with the actual code.

Thanks, Michael