RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?

From: Michael J Davis <michael(dot)j(dot)davis(at)tvguide(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?
Date: 1999-04-28 20:46:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

And the answer is an undocumented parameter to the postmaster. The
parameter "-W 30" (must be inside the "-o " because must it be sent to
postgres not to the postmaster) will cause new processes to wait 30 seconds.
This gave me enough time to find the pid for the new process and execute
"gdb postgres pid" or "xxgdb postgres pid". This pushed the new postgres
process into the debugger where I could set my break points and debug. I
discovered this by stumbling around in the code a little. I suppose if I
had looked at the code first, I would not have had to pose my question. The
searching the code for my answer was much, much easier than I expected. On
the other hand, I expected others to suggest the techniques they use for
debugging issues. It makes me wonder how much real debugging is taking
place? After all, this list is for hackers right? Sorry for the
negativity. This last issue has me stumped and I am stuck until I can get
it resolved. I really don't like being stuck very much.

Thanks, Michael