Re: Encoding problems

From: "Bjarni Ragnarsson" <bjarnir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encoding problems
Date: 2007-03-23 09:52:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everyone.

From what I figured out now: pgAdmin is using Unicode as the client
setting no matter what the database is set to. The database was set
to win1252. A comment in the settings file states that
client_encoding would default to database settings. But pgAdmin uses
Unicode as client_encoding unless set explicitly. Problem solved.
As a newbie in PostgreSQL I cannot tell if this is a bug....

Another problem I was and am still having is communicating with
PostgreSQL via the shell (cmd prompt). The shell uses cp850 and
PostgreSQL doesn's seem to support that by default according to the
docs. How do I go about dealing with that?

Best regards,
Bjarni Ragnarsson